The Nonprofit & Tax Exempt group empowers you in your charitable giving.
We combine our resources with yours to make a collective impact through educated, practical and innovative action. There are many options for charitable giving and tax-exempt activities. We help you understand your options, educate you about the law, and help you create and maintain a plan that is tailored to your goals.
Whether you are looking for advice on a discreet issue, counsel to educate your board, or start–up advice, we can guide you.
What to Expect
After you have evaluated your options, we help you create a long-term approach. If you choose to donate assets such as cash, securities, artwork or real estate, we plan and prioritize your charitable donations in connection with your estate and business planning.
If you choose to give through a tax-exempt entity (such as a private foundation, public charity or other tax-exempt entity), we put together your plan of action, identify your team and resources, form your entity and obtain tax-exempt status, guide you through governance and compliance issues, and work with your team to form an educated approach.
- 2023 The Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Honor 23 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys
- Stokes Lawrence Ranked Among Largest Women-Owned Businesses
- Low-Interest SBA Loans Available for Washington State Small Businesses/Non-Profits Harmed by COVID-19 (and Stabilization Fund Grants for Small Businesses located in the City of Seattle too!)
- Stokes Lawrence Named to 2018 Washington's Best Workplaces
- Stokes Lawrence Again Recognized as a Best Firm for Female Attorneys
- Duties and Liabilities of Nonprofit Board Members
- Stokes Lawrence Named to 2017 Best Law Firms List
- 11 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers List
- DOL Issues New Rules on Overtime Pay
- For Second Year, Nearly Half of Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- The Internet and ADA: How to Make Your Website More Accessible
- The Internet and ADA: The Right to Equal Enjoyment of the Web
- Stokes Lawrence Promotes Kamm to Shareholder
- Stokes Lawrence Partners With Northwest Immigrant Rights Project to Aid Child Immigrants
- Stokes Lawrence Named Best Law Firm for Third Consecutive Year
- Nearly Half of Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Sarbanes-Oxley Implementation: Why Should Privately Held Companies and Nonprofit Entities Care About SOX?
- Prevent Private Foundation Self-Dealing
- Fulfilling Your Heart's Desire: Basic Steps to Successful Service on a Charity Board
- Joining a Charity Board Can Fulfill Your Heart's Desire - or Crush It